at the Main Gate 12
Site 8 (Header House
Warehouse US Army Storage Depot)
Site 8 was located
on the West side of Burtonwood Road opposite BRD (Burtonwood
Repair Depot) site.
Construction of the
site was started in January 1953 & the warehouse was
opened on August the 16th 1954.
The length of the
warehouse was 5,280 feet (1 Mile Long)
The Width of the
warehouse was 1,255 feet with a capacity of 5,000,000
cubic feet & was the largest covered warehouse in Europe
with a total building cost of $12,000,000.
The site was served
by a railway branch line, with level crossing barriers
and traffic lights crossing Burtonwood Road.
The branch line
passed the South side of BRD site entering the Liverpool
to Manchester railway line.
The US Army moved
into site 8 in February 1967 & the site was named
Burtonwood Army Depot.
On the 4th of
January 1982 its name was changed to 'The 47th Area
Support Group US Army Reserve Storage Activity'.
With the ending of
the 'Cold War' site 8 became surplus to requirements &
the US Army left in the middle of 1993.
The site was later
demolished to make way for private housing.
8/Header House Under Construction 3rd of August 1954.
Aerial Photo Site
BRD Site is on the Top Left of the Photo.
American Military Vehicles Parked on
Outside Storage Area on Site 8/Header House.
More American Military Vehicles (Jeeps).
More Pictures etc Coming Soon Regarding Site 8 .....
Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page