Site 2

<-------- Click Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page

Record Site Plan of Site 2

Record site plan
buildings schedule.

 
Site 2 - Communal Living Area (Wagner Hall)

Site 2 was the largest living site on the airbase and was located South of Mary Ann Site.

Originally built for the RAF but was taken over by the USAAF in 1942.

132 nissan huts & 10 gerard huts were constructed by the end of 1943.

The site housed the mess halls, theatre, chapel, morgue, dentist & the base hospital.

The USAF left at the end of the 1950's & the site was no longer required & was demolished in the 1970's.

Most of site 2 now lies under Whittle Hall housing estate.
 

Nissan Huts on Site 2

Site 2 SSGT H.E. Miller Air Traffic Control 1945.

Each communal living site at Burtonwood was
named after a famous American person.

 Here colonel Scott is revealing the
sign 'Wagner Hall' for site 2 During WW2.

The airbase hospital on site 2.

Nurse outside the hospital site ..

Inside the Hospital.



Inside the Hospital.



Inside the Hospital.

Nurse & doctor outside one
of the hospital wards.

Nurse sitting down on a
concrete roadside marker

Nurses in one of the
hospital annexes.

Posing for a photo in front of
their living accommodation huts.  

Photo taken by Don Christman
of his roommates.

They served at Burtonwood in the 59th
Rec & Shipping 7559th Supply group.  

His living area was at Site 2
next to the Base Hospital.  

Don was at Burtonwood between
March 1952 and April 1955.


Site 2 Living Area June 1957.

Site 2 Perimeter road  During
the wintertime in the 1950s.

The Remaining 2 Blast Shelters on
Site 2 on the South East Corner of Site 2.

The construction of Whittle Avenue has since bisected site 2.

The 2 blast shelters are located on the east side of the
avenue in a wooded area near Wensleydale close.

These Blast Shelters Clearly Afforded No Protection From a Direct Hit,
But a Swift and Safe Retreat From the Possibility of Blast Effects.

Blast shelter drawing plan, to air ministry, drawing number 2360/41.

Blast Shelter.



A Reinforced Concrete Overhead Electricity Cable
Stanchion on Site 2 Near to the Blast Shelter (above).

The top of an electricity overhead wooden
pole, on the east side of whittle avenue.

Site 2 - Tiled Floor Remains on The West Side of Whittle
Avenue Near Concrete Overhead Electricity Cable Stanchion

Site 2 - Reinforced Concrete Overhead Electricity
Cable Stanchion (
BEFORE Clearance of Trees 2015)

Same Reinforced Concrete Overhead Electricity
Cable Stanchion (
AFTER Clearance of Trees 2016)

More Pictures etc Coming Soon Regarding Site 2 .....

<-------- Click Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page