Record Site Plan of Mary Ann Site 1950
Mary Ann Site
Ann site was named after a local wood called 'Mary Ann
Wood'.... today called 'Mary Ann Meadows'. The wood was
named after a local lady 'Mary Ann Perks' who lived in
Rose Cottage, what is now Burtonwood Road in the late
1800's. The site was sited to the East close to
Burtonwood Road near gate number 13.
Ann Site was developed as part of B.R.D Site and was
linked by taxi way to B.R.D. Site by crossing Burtonwood
Road at Gate 12 into B.R.D. Sites Norther Entrance at
Ann Site was occupied by 32 maintenance unit RAF between
1940 & 1942.
the 11th of June 1942 the United States Army Air Force (USAAF)
arrived on the site.
3 'C' type hangars were numbered AD4, AD5 & AD6 (AD
meaning 'Aircraft Dock').
These hangars were manned by over 300 men in each hangar
working day & night shifts 7 days a week.
1,500 aircraft were modified, repaired and overhauled in
each hangar each year in over 2 and a half years.
personnel that worked in these hangars and workshops
were very proud of their work.
hangar worked to produce more aircraft than its
neighbours hangar in a given time period.
Books, similar to college year books were prepared by
the personnel of some of the hangars and possibly 'all'
the 9th of June 1946 the USAAF returned control back to
the RAF and number 276MU then occupied the site, its
role being for long term aircraft storage, Inspection
Repairs and Modification of Aircraft issued to the RAF.
in 1946 the Ministry of Supply (MOS) took over control
of Mary Ann Site for covered storage.
September 1948 the Americans were back, this time the
Unites States Air Force (USAF).
airfield was now being extensively used by Military Air
Transport Services (MATS) as their UK base & for
aircraft maintenance & servicing.
Reconnaissance Squadron with their Boeing WB29 & later
WB50 Super Fortress used Mary Ann Site as their
dispersal & maintenance facilities.
Armed Forces public
open days were held on Mary Ann Site on the 15th of May
1954, the 21st of May 1955, the 19th of May 1956, the
18th of May 1957 and the 17th of May 1958 displaying
both USAF & RAF aircraft of the period.
The USAF left in
1959 & the US Army arrived on the 2nd of January 1967.
They focused all
their operations on the supply depot on Site 8 but had
no use for Mary Ann Site.
Mary Ann Site was
demolished in 1986.
Mary Ann Site Aerial Photo
Below is an aerial
photo of the 3 'C' type hangars on Mary Ann site.
The top hangar on
the photo is hangar AD6
The middle hangar on
the photo is hangar AD5
The bottom hangar is
Following Photos Were ALL Taken in 2016)
The remaining part of the apron in
front of the 'C' type hangars looking East
Mary Ann site.
The curve of
the apron (in the distance)
goes round to the right and follows the arc of the
The edge of Mary Ann Site
Looking South West
(Fiddlers Ferry Power Station is in The Distance)
Edge of Mary Ann Site
Hangar AD5 was situated just beyond the concrete (in the
AD4 was on the left and AD6 was on the right as you view
Mary Ann site and its associated buildings extended
back to the tree line
The gap in between the trees in the background was the
main road leading up to Mary Ann site and
all 3 hangars..
The main road came from the main entrance and passed
through in between the 2 large workshop warehouses
building 225 and 226 (beyond the trees in the
background) and continued through the gap (in the middle
of the photo coming this
way) and onto the Mary Ann hangar site.
Below (Photo) is the Gap
between the trees
(as Described above) but Looking SOUTH
(Photo) is the Gap between the trees
(as Described above) but Looking NORTH
Originally (During WW2) Was The Perimeter Track To/From
Mary Ann Site,
but Later was Used as a Main Service Road To The Rear of
Mary Ann Site.
This is the gap between the trees (crossing a drainage
ditch) that you can see in the photo above.
Looking Eastwards at part
of the Remaining Apron.
The concrete we can see (as
a road now) originally extended onto the grassed area
you can see on the left & the 'C' Type hangars were on
the Right of the concrete.
Looking West towards 'G' site from the Mary Ann Apron.
The large building in the background is the Royal Mail
Depot and was
originally the site of one of the large
Looking West again (but
further round) you can see the Royal Mail Depot that was
Site & Just to the right is the new Asda building which
is built on Technical Site.
Note the cambered concrete and the grid.
These grids were spaced out at regular intervals.
This was to enable the surface water to drain away off
Heading Towards Gate 13
Note: Gate 13 Was Situated on Burtonwood Road (where the
roundabout is now) & Not Where The Gate is on the Photo
(roughly speaking) where the trees are on
this photo past the gate you can see.
Looking North Westerly
From Gate 13.
Building on the Left of the Photo was Where Technical
Site & The Large Warehouse on the Right is 'E' Site and
is on the Other side of the M62.
The M62 was the Actual
Main Runway 09/27
following photos (below) are from what remains of a
of buildings between Hangar 17 & the large Workshop
A GPO (General Post
Office) Underground Telephone Cable Line Marker
The small rectangle you can see below the G.P.O. letters
had a metal plate inserted in it showing the depth of
the cable stamped on it.
Reminder that All The Photos Were Taken in 2016)
Sheathed Paper Insulated Multi Core Telephone Cable
in a Steel Sleeve to Support it Crossing The Drainage
Ground Drainage Chamber
One of a
few large concrete blocks close to one another.
Underground Electrical Cable 'Location Marker' Tile.
These type of tiles were connected together & laid
'along' the length
of the electrical cables to 'mark' that electrical
present underneath them and also for protection
Site Had 2 Large Drainage Ditches & Each Drainage Ditch
Numerous Culverts Along the Lengths of Each One Along
Many Discharge Pipes flowing into each ditch.
Culvert Outlet Flowing East Across Mary Ann Site.
Then Flows Under Burtonwood Road & Through Mary Ann
the culvert, this discharge pipe system remains.
discharge pipe system is along the drainage ditch in
front of demolished
building 2 and along the side of
demolished buildings 40, 42, 37 and 39.
system consists of 3 pipe ranges constructed of 1 inch
and 1/2" & 2" steel pipe with threaded pipe fittings.
ranges are supported across the ditch with the
discharge outlets directed into the centre of the ditch.
pipe range has become detached on 1 side of the banking.
pipe range has rusted and become detached
and lays in
the bottom of the ditch.
pipe range (Photo Below) is supported lower than
the other 2 and is
connected to a 2" steel pipe main
vertical section (going downwards) of
the 1" 1/2 pipe is the the discharge
Photo Below is an Overall View of the Pipe Ranges)
The 1st Pipe Range
This 1st Pipe has Become Detached From the Opposite bank
three tree branches that have grown around the steel
Next Photo of The 1st Pipe Range (Taken From the
Shows The Vertical Pipe Rising Out of The Ground That
Detached From The Pipe Crossing The Ditch
This Photo Shows The 2nd
Pipe Range (lying flat on
the ground going into the drainage ditch)
Pipe Also Crossed the Drainage Ditch
Next to The 1st Pipe (around 3 Feet apart)
All 3 Pipe Ranges Can Be
Seen From This Angle (1st Pipe Range in The Foreground,
2nd Pipe Range in the Drainage Ditch & the 3rd Pipe
Range is in the Background)
This Pipe Range is the
The Pipe Turning at a
Right Angle is Following The Banking of The
Drainage Ditch Towards the Large Culvert (we showed at
& Has Become Detached in Numerous Places.
Middle of the Pipe Going Across the Drainage Ditch There
Pipe Fitting & This has a Discharge Pipe Directed Into
The Drainage Ditch
Steel Water Main
Following The Drainage Ditch Eastwards This Culvert
Underneath The Approach Road at the Rear of Mary Ann
Approach Road Was Originally a Perimeter Track to BRD
Site During WW2
Looking From After the Culvert (Still
Looking Eastwards) Along the Drainage Ditch
Further Along is An Older
Type Pedestrian Bridge
the Drainage Ditch with Steps Down & Up
Bottom is the Remains of the Metal Frame
Work Which Once had a Wooden Platform
Close to the Demolished Headquarter Group Building
the Right of the Metal Bridge is One of the Many
Surface Water Drains Flowing into The Drainage Ditch
the pedestrian foot bridge are 2 reinforced concrete
Pedestrian Footbridge (Constructed of
reinforced Concrete) is Partly Demolished (below)
The Bridge (above) From Below From One Side
The Bridge From Below From the Other Side
The 2nd Drainage Ditch
on Mary Ann Site Flows out of
a Culvert on the South East Corner Near Site 2.
The Drainage ditch flows North Between Buildings 1 & 2 &
the East West Drainage Ditch next to the Approach Road
After the Culvert on the
Banking of the Drainage Ditch
We Found This Aircraft
Engine Fuel Pump
GPH Aircraft Fuel Pump Designed by MC
Manufacturing Company Detroit Found at Burtonwood)
This is The
Aircraft Fuel Pump (Above) After Cleaning
Next to the Drainage ditch are a
Cylinder Type Concrete Ant-Tank Obstacles.
These Concrete cylinders
were utilised at Road Junctions
& were painted white to indicate the Road exits.
Ditch is aligned to Keep this large Pond Full Of Water &
Probably Used as a Static Water Tank For Fire Fighting
Rusting Remains (We
found buried near the ditch) From WW2
Include: Ignition Leads, Rocker Valve Cover etc
Aircraft Cylinder Head Rocker Valve Covers
Ditch Teeing Into The Other Drainage Ditch (Above)
A Short Culvert Passing
Under a Walkway
remains of pierced steel planking (below) is alongside
drainage ditch between buildings 1 & 2 warehouse
Plank, or PSP Mat, was developed by the US Army Corp in
our involvement in World War II. ... The PSP mat was
designed with holes to reduce
the weight, improve aircraft traction and facilitate
What Remains of the Inner Perimeter Fence
Close to Where Warehouse Workshop 2 Once Stood
Right Next to the Drainage Ditch
Above but Taken from a Different Angle)
Long Culvert Next to
Perimeter Fence Post (Above)
Passing Under a Former Roadway
Near The Culvert (Above)
Embedded in The Drainage Ditch
Reinforced Concrete Pedestrian Footbridge Located
Next To The Front of Demolished Warehouse Building 2
View of the Footbridge
Where the 2nd Drainage Ditch
intercepts the East/West Drainage Ditch
The Remains of the
Foundations of Building 69.
Administration Base POL
(Petroleum Oil Lubricant)
Type 'W' Width
15 feet x 47 feet Long Area = 705 Sq feet
Eastern Perimeter Fence in Mary Ann Wood Next
to Burtonwood Road and Close to Gate 13
Post of the Perimeter Fence in Mary Ann Wood