Site Plan of 'E' Site
'E' site is sited on
the North West corner of the airfield. The Air Ministry
built 3 x 'L' Type hangars there in 1939 numbered, 1, 6
& 8 on the plan.
The 3 hangars were
built to Air Ministry Drawing numbers 10755/39 & 5163 -
The hangars were
built by the Teeside Bridge and Engineering Company Ltd.
The hangar length
was 300 feet and the span was 160 feet & the overall
height was 38 feet 6 inches plus turf.
The basic design of
the 'L' Type hangar is a steel frame structure which is
then clad with steel sheeting and reinforced concrete
covered in asphalt with a layer of earth and turf.
excellent camouflage when viewed from above.
The inside structure
consists of a series of triangular section fabricated
steel ribs carrying profiled sheet steel as form work to
the poured concrete roof.
A series of
continuous longitudinal steel rails suspended from the
4 doors are fitted
at each end of the hangar and were hand cranked operated
running on steel rails.
When fully opened
they give a clear span of 53 feet 9 inches and 26 feet 3
inches in height.
An air vent was
fitted to both ends of the hangar above the doors.
2 shallow annexes
were built at each end of the door openings at one end
only and were built of brick with a reinforced concrete
The left hand side
annex housed the boiler room with a square chimney stack
rising just above parapet height and the right annex was
a crew room and office.
Access was gained
into the annexes from within the hangar by small doors 7
3 other 'L' type
hangars were sited across the airfield on 'G' site.
This type of hangar
is a common sight on other storage and maintenance
airfields throughout the UK.
'E' site was
demolished in 2008.
The site is now an
industrial site and a new road has been constructed
leading to site 'A' and 'E' site leading from Burtonwood
Road and is called Lockheed Road (named after the P38
Black Widow Next to 1 of the Hangars on 'E' site During
A-20's Being Salvaged Between Hangars 1 & 6 ('L' Type
Hangars) August 1945.
Type Hangars on 'E' Site. Number 6 is in the
Foreground & Number 8 is in the Background.
Notice on Hangar 6, the Hangar Annex on the Left is the
Boiler House & the 1 on the Right is the Crew Room &
Numbers 6 & 8 on 'E' Site.
Photo Shows all 3 of the 'L' Type Hangars Number 1, 6 &
8 From Left to Right.
the Stanton Square Type air raid shelter August 1987.
This type of shelter is usually
built in an arch shape and the square shape is unique to
Burtonwood. The same type was built on Technical site
and there may well have been others on the airfield.
The only other
example to be seen on a WW2 airfiled is at Kingscliffe
airfield in Northamptonshire. They were manufactured by
the Stanton iron works at Ikeston and were built of pre
cast concrete segements.
Inside one of the 'L'
Type Hangars Showing the Roof Structure.
Level Water Storage Tank
can just see Hangar 8 in the background in the photo
house (also below) is a later addiction of the original
'Now' (2016) Note: The M62 Motorway Running
East/West is Built over the Main Runway (Number 09/27)
More Pictures etc Coming Soon Regarding 'E' Site .....
Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page