Site 3 - Communal Living
Area (Kyger Hall)
Site 3 is located South of the
airfield opposite to the Manchester to Liverpool Railway
line on the side of Sycamore Lane at gate 3.
Originally built as
a living site covering an area of 46 acres a total of
374 buildings were constructed on site 3.
Mostly Nissen and
During the late
1940's 39 were converted into married quarters.
The site was
demolished during the 1950's and redeveloped into single
storey semi detached timber framed buildings and were
referred to as 'Tobacco' houses.
They were called
108 of these houses
were constructed large enough to accommodate a family
with up to 3 children.
The site also
included a club, bar and a bowling ally.
Site 3 was used by
the US Army until 1993.
The site was
demolished in 2006 for development of a housing estate.
As of 2016 nothing
remains of site 3.
However, a pill box
defence position remains in dense undergrowth opposite
the new housing estate alongside the Manchester to
Liverpool Railway line.
Also a railway
bridge leads across for pedestrians to a small gate to
enter into site 8.
Bowling Ally on Site
Framed Housing Area Known as Tobacco Houses
because the lease for the land was paid
More Pictures etc Coming Soon Regarding Site 3 .....
Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page