Bob Pugh 1965th AACS Sq

<-------- Click Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page

Bob Pugh kindly allowed us to use the following photographs
(below) along with these emails he recently sent us ....


1st Email From Bob ....

"Hi Gary & Malcolm,

I was a member of the maintenance crew that maintained the equipment used in the control tower.

Our shop was located in the old WWll control tower, that is seen in your photo taken from the control tower. The repair shop was on the ground floor, while the VHF radio equipment was on the second floor. The control tower also had transmitters and receivers located on the floor directly under the tower operating floor.

We had telephone communication to the tower and also had a hand crank telephone that was a direct line to the tower. We spent a lot of time in the control tower when we had all of our duties completed during our 'shift'.

We worked a shift that consisted of, swing-mid, swing, day, day, mid: swing-mid (on duty 4pm to 8 am), 8 hours off, swing (on duty 4pm to midnight) 8 hrs off, day shift (on duty 8am to 4 pm), 16 hours off, day shift (on duty 8am to 4pm), 8 hours off, midnight (on duty) midnight to 8 am. Following this schedule, we would have approximately 4 days off duty.

We worked a schedule like that so we could get the maximum time off without being required to have a 3 day pass.

I believe the huts that we lived in were on site 4. We had two beds (bunks) at each end of the hut, with pot belly stoves at each end for heat. We had hut inspection every once in awhile, which consisted of a tour of the huts by our squadron commander and our first sergeant. Seeing we worked shifts, there was usually always someone sleeping during the day, so they would come in, have a quick look and leave without disturbing us.

The crew in my hut consisted of two of us in radio maintenance and two control tower operators.
Feel free to use any of the photos you want for your website.

When they started downsizing Burtonwood, they scattered us all over the UK. I was reassigned for my 3rd year at RAF Brize Norton.

Once again, thanks for keeping Burtonwood alive!

I have a few more photos I can send you as soon as I dig them out."

Bob Pugh
Wilkes-Barre, PA

2nd Email From Bob ....

"Hi Gary & Malcolm,

It's really great that you are keeping the ghost of RAF Burtonwood alive for those of us that served there, and that people of the area will know that the base existed at one time. Many a good memory still fills this aging body of mine, of the days that I served at Burtonwood.

My wife is from Orford, and she has two brothers living in Great Sankey and one in Scarborough.
Her Dad was retired from the British Army, having last been posted at Peninsula Barracks in Warrington.

I was at Burtonwood from July of 1957 to July of 1959.

I was assigned to the 1965th AACS Squadron. Our squadron duties consisted of operation of the control tower, teletype section (which was located on the ground floor of the main terminal building), the GCA unit which was at the approach end of the runway and the maintenance personnel for these installations."

Bob Pugh
Wilkes-Barre, PA

Bob Pugh's Photo's

Bob Pugh ....

"The picture above was taken on Liverpool Road from my jalopy.....I had a Morris Minor Convertible when I was at Burtonwood.

Had to give it away when transferred to Brize Norton. We had a million laughs with that old car. Battery was always low and many a time I had to push it, then jump in, catch it in gear, to get it running.

We changed the brakes on it at the hobby shop. Car wouldn't of the guys pulled us with his car...funniest sight you could see...The front bumper and parking light were pulled right off the car.

All we could see was the pull car going away with about 15 feet of rope and the bumper from my car.
Following that episode, I was stopped in town for not having the driving (parking) lights on.

After the warning from the policeman, I would hang a military ' L' shaped torch (flashlight) on the front of the car."


<-------- Click Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page