Site Plan of 'A' Site
'A' site was located
East of 'E' site alongside the Northern perimeter fence.
The entrance gate
was off Wright's Lane with the gatehouse being on the
left when entering the site.
The gatehouse was
number 6 on the site plan.
2 'K' type hangars
were constructed and built to Air Ministry Drawing No.
3084/39 numbered 1 & 7 on the site plan (above).
The hangars were
constructed of steel lattice frame with a curved roof
and covered with 1/4 inch steel plate.
The side of each
hangar had brick annexes running down the full length of
both sides. The brick annexes supported reinforced
concrete flat roof.
The hangar doors
were filled with gravel or sand to absorb any enemy gun
The dimension of the
Door openings 150
feet wide by 30 feet high.
Length was 300 feet
long comprising of 18 bays. Each bay was 16 feet 8
inches in depth total coverage was 46,206 square feet.
This type of hangar
was built on other aircraft service units throughout the
The 'K' type hangar
was designed to store & maintain aircraft & the annexes
were used for storage.
Across the airfield
one of these hangars was built on
'A' site was not
fully built until the 1st of February 1941 & was
originally called 'No. 4 Storage Site'.
37 MU (Maintenance
Unit) arrived on 'A' site in 1941.
The USAAF took
control on the 15th of July 1942 and the site was then
used for the maintenance and modification of all types
of their aircraft.
Flight testing used
'A' site before moving across the airfield to Technical
Site in early 1944.
During 1943 the
Aircraft hard standings were enlarged by the USAAF by
the laying of 5,300 yards of concrete.
At the end of WW2
the RAF were back on 'A' site.
On September 1948
the USAF were back.
The Americans left
in the late 1950's and control was again handed back to
the RAF on the 18th of June 1965.
'A' Site was
demolished in November 2008.
The site is now an
industrial estate & a new approach road leads to 'A'
Site & 'E' Site from Burtonwood Road named Lockheed Road
after the famous P38 Lockheed Lightning aircraft.
Aerial Image of 'A' Site Showing Numerous B-17's Parked
the Camouflage Netting Between Number 1 & 7
Hangars to Hide the Line of the Hangars.
Guard House (Building Number 6) is in the Middle of the
Photo at the Bottom.
A Mural of a B-17
Painted on a Wall (During WW2) inside 1 of the 'K' Type
(Photo Taken 2008)
Looking Down the North Perimeter Track Towards 'A' Site.
Threshold of Runway 15 is on the Right of the Photo.
Type Hangar Number 7 (Photo Taken 2008).
Type Hangar on 'A' site When Being Used as an Industrial
Electrical Transformer Plynth (Building Number 4)
More Pictures etc Coming Soon Regarding 'A' Site .....
Here to Go Back to Burtonwood Home Page